Friday, January 14, 2011

Round One

"LLLLllllet's get ready to be nauseous!"  

Ok, I am officially a blog slacker!  Sorry, I intended to blog earlier about my first round of chemo.  I received my first dose on January 4th, it took a little over three hours for the whole process.  I think my infusion took 2 1/2 hours.  The infusion was truly no big deal.  They give you some anti-nausea medicine before they start the infusion along with some medicine to calm your nerves.  My nerves did not really need calming but I figured they know what they are doing.  I am such a light weight and never take any kind of medication so I fell asleep.  Which is probably why the infusion was not a big deal to me.  I was told that the anit-nausea meds they gave me should last through the day and I could start on the five different pills they gave me the next morning.  Well anyone who knows me knows that I had Hyperemesis gravidarum, extreme nausea and vomiting, during my pregnancies, so needless to say I started feel sick about three hours after my infusion.  All the meds I am on are great at keeping things in but not so great at making me feel better.  So the nausea lasted until Saturday and I basically slept off and on between Tuesday and Saturday. 

I was given a booster shot on Wednesday to help increase my WBC count and was told that this would make me feel like a horse had kicked me, mostly in the big bone areas that would produce the most WBCs.  I did not experience any horse kicking but did have times of random bone pain, mostly in my low back and pelvis.

All in all the experience was not too bad, I pray that it stays like this.  I realize that the further I get into this the less my body will be able to help me out.

Enough about chemo.  I find it strange that people are sooo amazed at how well I am "taking" all this.  Really,  what benefit would I have from sitting at home on the couch crying all day.  It is not that I don't think this stinks, but it is my life at this point and I try to be a joy-filled individual at all times.  So to all those out there that just do not get it.  It is ok, but I am just going to keep on with my positive attitude and be grateful for everyday I wake up!

Oh by the way, I still have my hair.  I am at day eleven and just this morning started to see a little extra falling out in my shower.  I do not have anxiety about losing my hair, but apparently I have anxiety about when I am going to lose it.  I had many dreams the night before last about losing my hair in the most awkward places and at the most inopportune times.  It actually is quite funny!  I go today to get my synthetic wig and hope to get a real hair wig shortly.

I pray that you all have a blessed day and hope to blog more often.  God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. angie told us about your SUPER CUTE new hairdo. but you have to come by the surgery center soon and let us see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way too far away for you to drop by, but I'd LOVE to see a pic of your pixie! I have NO doubt that you look adorable! Who knows, once your hair starts growing back, you may jump on the pixie bandwagon for good....it's not such a terrible place to be! :). You are an amazing woman! I was quite shocked to hear that you were back at work (but on the other hand...I really wasn't!) You have always taken life in stride...I think God prepared you for this journey from the time he thought you up! I know it's early in the process...it may get a lot tougher, but so far, I think you should tell them to save those nerve drugs for the rest of us!!! You and God have this one under control! I love you! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, your chemo blog made me laugh! You are awesome! It was the dream scene that made me chuckle. Please know I am praying for you. You are a blessing in the lives of so many. Your positive attitude will make all the difference for you personally, but also in how your children will remember this strange bend in the road. Love you!

    ReplyDelete